Sunday, August 28, 2011

Voile -la A Wrap Skirt!

Anna Maria Horner Voile- Slow Dance in Heather available online
Have you recovered from the horrible warping of the English language I perpetrated in the blog title?  No?  Here's another pretty picture then!


The Wrap Skirt is often touted as the perfect beginning apparel project.  And technique-wise, it really is- although I think the optional button-hole to thread your tie through makes it more complicated unless you happen to have a one-step buttonhole.  But let's be honest, even a one-step buttonhole function requires a special presser foot, and for some beginning sewers that's really scary.  In any case, the button-hole is optional on Kwik Sew 2954, (the pattern we use for our Wrap Skirt Class) although it an option that really adds to making a flattering fitting skirt.  I wanted to see how using lovely silky cotton voile added to the flattery and sure enough- it turned out pretty slinky.



It's kind of the perfect skirt to transition into colder weather, since I think it'll look smashing with knee-high boots.  I used the repeat of the pattern, almost like a border print, or rather, I hemmed the skirt right under the bottom of the pattern, which was pretty easy to do while laying out the pattern and turned out really cute.  I was lucky that it fell right into my 22" ideal I guess.


I also used a french seam to make the insides extra special.  Be sure and peek to check them out if you come into the store!  In this pattern, it was a super easy application.


The skirt makes you magically transparent!


This was a sample for the upcoming Wrap Skirt class at Sewtropolis, which I'll be teaching on Friday, September 9 from 6-9.  There's still room in the class, and you can register online!


1 comment:

  1. I love how perfectly summery that skirt looks with your bright pink cardigan, but when you swap it for the blue jacket BAM! it looks just right for fall! I can definitely see it with boots and maybe tights all through the chillier months!

    ReplyDelete