Monday, September 5, 2011

The Basic T-shirt

Featuring  Kwik Sew 3036
This is what I wore to sit around with my nose running on Sunday.  It was comfy.  It made me really, really happy that I had ever made something as simple as a plain white t-shirt too.  I will say that I doubt I would ever give up my store bought tees, so soft,cheap and plentiful at superstores, but this t-shirt was cheap and easy to make and I love how thick and lofty the Micheal Miller interlock is.



Look at my wee pinhead with my hair tied back!

I also like that me-made tees aren't tunic length.  Some of the store-bought tees are super long on me.  When I tuck them in I feel like I have a shirt and half-slip combo!


Here's the zigzag hem recommended by Kwik Sew.  The shirt is two pieces with kimono sleeves, so it's super simple.  I was surprised at how nicely it fits in the shoulders with the kimono sleeves, so I made another!

This is version 2, with a deeper scoop neck.  You can't see in the light, but it's polkadotted!  Cafe Dots by Oliver & S...

Here it is flat, so you can see the shape, and how I hemmed it with a double-needle.  In the class that's one of the techniques you get to learn!

the double-needle hem

If you're in the Twin Cities you can register for the class at Sewtropolis here online!  Don't be scared to sew with knits, I'm here to hold your hand...

3 comments:

  1. You got a cool and comfortable look with this shirt, no doubt it will have much wear on you! Love polka dots yellow version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cool 50s vibe of the plain white tee & slim dark jeans! (And it goes without saying that I think the the polka dotted one is fabulous) I agree with you about the crazy length of most store-bought tees, but yours is the perfect length.

    ReplyDelete