Thursday, September 8, 2011

Simplicity 2655, the "Yabba Dabba Do " Skirt

Simplicity 2655 in Dagmar by Alexander Henry
On Tuesday I was slummy again for my day off, but I didn't look slummy in my recently finished "muslin" of Simplicity 2655 (view E).  I say muslin, because I was really just testing the pattern for size/etc, but wanted to be able to wear it.  Since I wanted a skirt to ride on my hip, rather than much higher on my waist- I decided to make this pattern up in size 22, but since I sewed most of it on the serger, I could have sized down to 20, because this skirt certainly does have a low rise now.  It's impossible to call the yoke a waistband yoke, since it falls a good inch below my belly button, and my natural waist is about 4 inches above my belly button!  It's a hip-yoke, I guess.




Look close to see my pink top-stitching!  You still can't see it because my camera has no capacity for detail!



Lena Hoschek A/W 2011
This was the feel I was going for in putting my outfit together.  I feel like I accomplished that in spite of my skirt not being a multi-textural dirndl.  It's bulky, yet flirty- and the skirt did turn out super flirty.



I chose a pattern with a lot of gores specifically to break up the big print.  I tried to make it look purposeful by adding contrast pink topstitching, which turned out quite subtle amongst the huge Flintstone flowers.

the fabric is almost sateen-like, so silky!
I don't think that I'm wrong here, these flowers look totally Bedrockian to me.  Even the name of the print "Dagmar" seems to have Modern-Stone Age connotations to it.  Is it any wonder that my resulting skirt is something a teenage Pebbles would wear?


So there we have it.  Now I have to go walk my Brontosaurus..

1 comment:

  1. You look fantastic! The shape/print of the skirt is super flirty, and I love the Stone Age flowers! It's always great when a "muslin" is totally wearable, too :)

    ReplyDelete